When facing tough decisions regarding insolvency, clients call on Ms. Calderín for experienced counsel. Distressed businesses benefit from Ms. Calderín’s background in financial planning, institutional debt refinancing, restructuring, assignments for the benefit of creditors, and other out-of-court workouts. Creditors, creditors’ committees, fiduciaries, Chapter 11 debtors, and attorneys who do not have an insolvency practice frequently engage her for specialized counsel.
Ms. Calderín analyzes each client engagement from the client perspective, making their goals a priority. In some cases a strategy may require knowledge or skill sets from other practice disciplines. When necessary, a collaborative team of colleagues supports her across practice disciplines providing a holistic approach for the best outcome.
During the recent economic downtrend, Ms. Calderin has assisted several small to middle market businesses successfully restructure their debt obligations through Chapter 11 reorganizations.
- Business Restructuring
- Creditors Rights
- Panel Trustee for the Department of Justice United States Trustee Program
- Commercial Litigation
Professional Affiliations and Activities:
- Panel Trustee for the Department of Justice Office of the United States Trustee
- South Florida Network Co-Chair of the International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation
- Director at Large for the Bankruptcy Bar Association, Southern District of Florida
- Active member of the Florida Bar Business Law Section; the Cuban American Bar Association; American Bankruptcy Institute; Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors; and the Hispanic National Bar Association
Pro bono, Civic, and Community Activities:
- July 2011: Jacqueline Calderin participated in the Fifth Annual Advocacy Day for the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network in Washington, D.C., where she met with Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and staff members for Senators Marco Rubio and Bill Nelson to discuss proposed legislation that would create a strategic plan to combat pancreatic cancer. Pancreatic cancer is the 4th leading cause of cancer deaths in the U.S. and only 6% of patients will live more than 5 years. Teens Honor Dad by Fighting for Cancer Research
- Ms. Calderín regularly provided her legal skills, and her language skills, to pro bono representation of Spanish speaking persons who do not speak English and who do not otherwise have the financial resources to afford an attorney.
- Juris Doctor, University of Miami School of Law
- Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, Florida International University
- Florida Bar
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
A distressed medical imaging company came to Ms. Calderín for help related to financial difficulties resulting from a cessation of Medicare payments that accounted for 40 percent of its revenues. In the Chapter 11 environment, she filed a lawsuit against the United States of America seeking to lift the Medicare review process that had placed the client in its precarious financial situation. The lawsuit was successful and the review process was lifted. Thereafter, Medicare payments began coming in on a regular basis, allowing the company to meet its operational costs and propose a Chapter 11 Plan of Reorganization.
As counsel for the official committee of unsecured creditors of a large telecommunications entity, Ms. Calderín worked closely with investment bankers and financial consultants to facilitate an excellent dividend for creditors via the sale of substantially all of the Debtor’s assets for approximately $27 million, under Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code.
When a large, not-for-profit, community hospital retained Ms. Calderín to represent them in their Chapter 11 filing; they were in the process of closing on the sale of commercial property in West Miami. She was able to assist her client in obtaining court approval to reject the pending contract, put her marketing and negotiation skills to work and eventually obtained and closed on a deal that resulted in a sale price 100 percent greater than the deal they had on the table when she entered the case.
Honors and Recognitions
May 2013: Jacqueline Calderin has been listed as an "Abogado Destacado del Sur de la Florida" by Revista Abogados, 2013 edition
2013: Jacqueline Calderin has been recognized by Chambers USA as one of "America's leading lawyers for business".
2013: Jacqueline Calderin and Michael Ehrenstein recognized as Top Lawyers for the 2013 edition of the South Florida Legal Guide
2011-2012: Jacqueline Calderin listed in American Registry as one of America’s Most Honored Professionals
2012: Jacqueline Calderin selected as a “Legal Elite” by Florida Trend Magazine
2009-2011: Jacqueline Calderin rated as a “Super Lawyer” in Super Lawyers Magazine
2005: Jacqueline Calderin received the “Put Something Back” Pro Bono Award, a joint project of the 11th Circuit and the Dade County Bar Association
Named “Best of the Bar” by South Florida Business Journal
October 2012: Jacqueline Calderin spoke at the International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation Florida Division Annual Meeting in Orlando, Florida on the topic of VALUATION CONSIDERATIONS IN INSOLVENCY AND BANKRUPTCY
September 2012: Robert Charbonneau, Jacqueline Calderin, David Rothenstein and Nicole Grimal spoke at the Dade County Bar Association and Dade Legal Aid Society’s Bankruptcy View from the Bench program held on September 14, 2012 in Miami, FL.
June 2012: Presented at the Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors National Conference in San Francisco on 13-week financial management issues
April 2012: Jacqueline Calderin was a panelist at the Dade County Bar’s Put Something Back and Bankruptcy Bar’s joint presentation on Bankruptcy Basics in Miami
October 2010: Jacqueline Calderin spoke at the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges in New Orleans on the process of proof and payment of claims in bankruptcy proceedings
June 2008: Jacqueline Calderin was a panelist at the National Conference of Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors in Las Vegas on “Post-Confirmation Issues”
2006: Jacqueline Calderin spoke at Lorman Education Services Seminars on topics including; “Bankruptcy in Florida: Executory Contracts, Unexpired Leases, and § 363 Sales” in Miami
2005: Jacqueline Calderin presented at Lorman Education Services Seminar on “Understanding The Bankruptcy Reform Act of 2005: Foreign and Ancillary Proceedings” in West Palm Beach